Next recipe's gonna be my Cheese and Onion Bread, tweaked and durhaka-ed from the original recipe, Custard Roll from Mamafami@fotopages.com. Ya ampun dooong.. Takpela, it's called creativity, is it not?
The ingredients are all in grams (that's why I really need a digital scale, dear hubby, 'cause mine's just not reliable anymore, being 3-years old) so I've converted it (more or less accurately) into cups, spoons, teaspoons, teacups, and saucers (kidding).
Resepi Custard Roll (original resepi) from Mamafami's FP
60g condensed milk
15g eggs (about 1/2 an egg)
170g cold water (from the fridge)
2.5g bread improver
5g instant yeast
300g high protein flour/multi purpose flour
5g milk powder
Method: (BM method)
- Pour cold water into bread maker pan.
- Add flour, followed by all other ingredients except butter.
- Set to BASIC DOUGH programme and let the BM do its work.
- After about 5 minutes or until dough is well incorporated, add in butter and let the BM continue kneading until soft and smooth dough is formed. Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 50g each. Make into small balls, let rest for another 10 minutes.
- Shape into long strip and arrange on baking tray.
- Prove until double in size.
- Pipe the custard topping.
- Bake in preheated oven, 180 degrees celcius for 30 minutes.
15g custard powder
250ml fresh milk
Thoroughly mix custard powder, sugar and 25ml milk, while 225ml milk is being bought to boil. Add boiling milk to mixture, stirring well. Return to low heat, stirring continuously until thicken. Set aside.
Butter Cream Filling
125g icing sugar, sifted twice
1/2ts vanilla essence
Beat ingreadients marked * till smooth. Add in sifted icing sugar and vanilla. Whisk till light and fluffy.
Resepi Cheese Bread/Bun (which originated from Custard Roll above)
60g condensed milk
15g egg (1/2 an egg)
170g warm water
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp bread improver
1/2tsp bread softner
3/4tb yeast (I use ragi roti or just use plain 'ol mauripan)
300g high protein flour/bread flour/tepung gandum
1tb margarine/butter (I tried to use 2tb margarine but it seemed too much)
3tsp milk powder.
Method: Elbow Grease style
- Take large bowl and add all ingredients together except margarine and water till well blended.
- Make a hole in the middle and slowly add in water, all the while using your fingertips and making a one-way, circular motion to blend in the ingredients. (I watched Jamie Oliver doing this to his breads and copied him :p )
- Add in margarine/butter and knead until it feels elastic and soft, for about 5-7 minutes. (I've been doing some research in the Internet. Bakers say you can't knead too long or you're going to over-work the gluten and the dough's gonna get tough and hard when baked. And you can't under-knead it too or it will not rise. I don't know whether this is true or not but I find that for 250g-300g of flour, it's preferably just to knead it for less than 8 minutes. For more flour and bigger dough, it may need longer time, like 10-12 minutes or so. I just use my hands and stop when the dough doesn't stick too much to your fingers and it's elastic and stretchable. If any info's wrong, I really do beg your pardon. It's just an observation from an ol' non-working momma).
- Put dough in a bowl lightly greased with butter and cover it with plastic wrap or clean dish towel and let it proof for about 50-60minutes. (I put it in my un-used oven, lowest temp)
- Punch all the air out of the dough, and divide it into 4 equal parts.
- Shape into strips and put it in a lightly greased bread pan, alongside each to make a row.
- Prove 2nd time till double in size for about 30 minutes.
- Pipe zigzaged mayonnaise across row of strip-doughs, sprinkle mozarella cheese on top, and lay down some onion rings.
- Bake in preheated oven for 180 deg celcius, 30-40 minutes, depending on how much you want your cheese to be browned (haha).
Cheese and onion bread - terover brown sket cheese dia :P